INERTIA REEL GAS GENERATOR
PACSCI EMC has provided a range of different gas generators for aerospace and defense. Our Inertia Reel Gas Generator, part number 0113226-23, is used on the Advanced Concept Ejection Seat (ACES II) to retract the Inertia Reel Straps and place the aircrew in the best posture possible prior to ejection. Upon actuation, the initiator generates the required gas pressure to drive grease in a tube to the gear mechanism on the ejection seat inertia reel. This specific dash number gas generator is part of a family utilized on other domestic and foreign aircraft platforms. The ‘-23’ version is installed in the A-10, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-117, B-1, B-2.
DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
The unit is manufactured from aluminum alloy with an anodized finish. The pyrotechnic train includes redundant dual primer initiation to ensure ignition of the gas generant propellant. Input energy is ether from an ETL HE end fitting or electric detonator. The gas pressure produced is 500 psig minimum. Below are reference dimensions for the -23 gas generator. Each unit weighs approximately 0.50 lbs.
VARIABLE VOLUME TESTS
PacSci tests in a variable volume providing the means to record the following characteristics:
- Gas pressure required to initiate cartridge
- Gas pressure generated which drives a movable piston.
- Hydraulic fluid pressure that opposes the movement of the piston.
- The piston position during piston travel (stroke).
- The time required for the piston to force a fixed volume of fluid through an orifice.