PacSci EMC has manufactured millions of feet for linear explosive products over decades of continuous production. We manufacture MDC sheathed in a variety of materials for major oil and gas service providers. Our MDC is typically drawn or extruded into a round configuration. It can be rolled into an elliptical or flat ribbon shape, supporting complex needs. Our detonating cords can be further sheathed in metal tubes making it possible for the MDC to operate in temperatures of up to 500°F for 50 hours.
Mild Detonating Cord / Mild Detonating Fuze (MDC / MDF) is a metal clad linear explosive usually drawn or extruded in a round configuration. It can be rolled into an elliptical or flat ribbon shape based on customer requirements. MDC is normally manufactured in core loads ranging from 2.5 grains per foot (162 mg) to 100 plus grains per foot. The sheath materials, a continuous seamless construction, commonly used are tin, lead, aluminum and silver. The explosive core materials used are RDX, HNS, PETN, CH-6, HMX, and PBX-N5. We also have the capability to load unique explosive materials customers have the require loading into and MDC / MDF configuration.
In MDC / MDF, the detonation is defined as an exothermic reaction (explosion) that propagates beyond the velocity of sound. Mild Detonating Cord in most configurations will rupture when fired unless outer layers of fiberglass, Kevlar, tubing or steel braiding are added for partial or full containment. For added mechanical strength and environmental protection, the smaller diameter MDC sizes can be encased with polyethylene or nylon plastics. This will add approximately .01-inch wall thickness to the total cross-section.
We use established standard acceptance testing for all MDC it manufactures including core load, moisture analysis, detonation velocity and dimensional checks. We also use its standards in conjunction with or in additional to customers testing levels and sampling, as appropriate.
Shipping MDC / MDF is dependent on its final configuration. If being sent to customer on a spool the ends are adhesive sealed first to ensure no adverse effects on the explosive core. It is normally rolled on 12 to 24 inch spools. Shipping classifications will be dependent on the final product being shipped and classification approval by the appropriate agencies.
Benefits of our MDC / MDF
- Long continuous lengths to transfer an explosive signal from one device to another.
- Adjust the amount of explosive to the size appropriate for the intended event, big or small
- Use different explosive and sheath materials to account for different environmental and platform interfacing challenges (i.e. temperature, diameter, shock, flexibility, etc.)
- Flexibility or semi-rigid design allows shaping for routing MDC/MDF or one of its next higher assemblies into simple or complex platforms/applications
- MDC/MDF can be used as a raw product or in next higher assemblies & components (Design application flexibility)